Friday, May 27, 2016

Step 26: Dress Dapper

One thing that I really love about Kare Kano is Tsuda Masami's attention to fashion. I have about as much fashion sense as a bridge troll (and live approximately the same kind of lifestyle), but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate beautiful clothes. Tsuda makes some questionable choices when dressing her characters, but generally speaking, her sense of style is on fleek.

Uh... generally speaking.

Fashion is one thing that I've always struggled drawing without reference (I would have made a shit fashion designer). I have to scour Pinterest for hours on end if I want to put my characters in anything other than leggings and a t-shirt. That being said, it's not like anyone has to twist my arm to get me to look at pretty girls in cute clothes! My very favorite is when women are dressed in suits; it doesn't matter if it's a feminine or masculine cut, or if the models embrace their long locks or have it cropped into a more boyish style--it just stirs something inside of me. I love androgyny and those who are brave enough to push the boundaries of our binary society, and as far as I'm concerned, ties look great on anyone and everyone.

Preach on, Doctor.

I played around with dressing one of the protagonists of my book in a suit. Red is extremely girly, so I'm not sure if a suit would--ahem--suit the character, but I think it looks cool. It was also kind of an exercise in messing with negative space, so for a couple of hours of work, I'll call it a win. I've been drawing Red with bangs up to this point, but I'm just going to pretend they're slicked back.  Because, fashion.

Haute couture, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment