Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Step 12: Overshare

Not much to report on the last couple of days. I got two more rejections on my query...

Surprise, bitch!

...but that's okay, because I've been keeping busy. I went to a Decades party with my husband on Saturday where I dressed up as David Bowie:

There's a starman waiting in the sky...

And I'm headed to central Oregon tomorrow to do a little trout fishing with my friend and Dark Horse Comics VP Randy Stradley:

'murica!

That means I probably won't be doing much in the way of updated my blog while I'm gone, but I haven't had a lot to write about since the weekend anyway, unless all two of you readers want to hear about my filthy dōjinshi habit.

What's that?  You do want to know all about my Freudian complex?

Oh, all right, I'll just tell you. It goes like this: Every time I watch Rurouni Kenshin, I inevitably get the itch to read the manga in order to satisfy my need for resolution (because as far I'm concerned, the Jinchū arc is the only true ending to Kenshin). And then after I've sobbed over just how good it is, I begin to crave more, which is pointless because it's been seventeen years since the comic ended and we clearly aren't going to see the Revenge chapters animated anytime soon.

Fuck you, Studio DEEN, for being the biggest cock-blockers in anime.

So, what's a fangirl to do? Well, Archive of our Own has a plethora of Rurouni Kenshin fanfiction that I tap into occasionally, when desperate sexytimes call for desperate measures. I'm not a huge fan of fanfiction, mostly because if someone is a good enough writer, they're probably publishing their own books and not goofing off in the playground of someone else's intellectual property. Not saying that there isn't any good fanfiction out there, but it's less of a treasure trove and more of a jewelry box, so to speak.

However.

Japan has a thriving market of dōjinshi--fan comics--that have trickled their way onto the internet. Some of them are light little fluff-pieces, but the majority of them range from fairly explicit to holy-shit-this-would-make-a-sailor-blush. (Which, if you haven't figured out yet, is obviously fine by me.) And Rurouni Kenshin happens to have some of the very best dōjinshi money or bittorrent can buy.

Literally the most SFW page in this particular story I can post without getting flagged for smut.

The above image is drawn by a dōjinshi circle named Meiji Jyaya, and their art style is eerily uncanny to Watsuki Nobuhiro's, the author of Rurouni Kenshin. Their books are my favorite precisely because of how similar they are to the source material, but if it's the hardcore stuff you're after, look no further than Yamaguchirow.

I can't actually show you a page from Yamaguchirow, so here is Kaoru's reaction if she saw it instead.

Unfortunately, I've mined the internet for just about all the RK dōjinshi Japan has to offer short of flying my ass to the Land of the Rising Sun and selling my organs for some of the rarer books. But I'm nothing if not entirely inventive when left to my own devices, and I'm also a fairly competent illustrator, so not long ago I took a stab at drawing some of my own Rurouni Kenshin dōjinshi:

Kenshin: Kaoru-dono... This one wanted to tell you...
Kaoru: Are you going to fuck me already, or what?

I even went so far as to thumbnail 99 whole pages of a story, which is hilarious, but I'm sure I'll never get around to actually drawing them all. I mean, come on--even I have a life outside of my fandoms, yanno?

And also I can't read half of the notes I wrote in the margins so that's honestly the biggest problem I'm having right now.

I can't tell if Kaoru is biting her thumbnail or giving Kenshin a blow job.

No comments:

Post a Comment