Saturday, May 21, 2016

Step 23: Dig Through The Archives

Those pages I drew to send to the agent really primed my illustration pump, and it feels good to be inspired to draw again. I've been doodling more sketches of the characters in my book, and I whipped this one up last night of Mohawk Girl:

Spiked hair, don't care.

It's actually a part of a larger piece I'm working on, so hopefully I'll get that up eventually. I feel like she ought to have tattoos, but after spending way too much time with the pen tool drawing each line of her fishnet stockings individually, I said "fuck it" and stopped there. Most of Defining Lines takes place in the winter, so she's usually bundled up like an Eskimo anyway, with little exposed skin to speak of.

My hand thanks me.

Interestingly, as I was drawing it I had a vague recollection of drawing the same character many years ago in a similar position. I scoured the depths of my hard drive, and this sassy figure revealed herself:

Not proud enough of it to slap my signature on it.

That file was dated April 25th, 2007--nine years ago almost to the day. I have a love-hate relationship with looking at my old art; while it's fun to see how far I've come as an artist, I still cringe when I remember how good I thought I used to be.

Uh, you do you, 2007-Shea.

No comments:

Post a Comment