Monday, May 9, 2016

Step 18: Stretch Thoroughly Before Partaking in Strenuous Activity

Funnily enough, drawing doesn't affect my dominant arm nearly as much as it does the other one. For whatever unconscious reason, I press down really hard on my left elbow when I'm in the grip of an intense inking session, and I haven't wised up enough yet to put a cushion under it.

Better than carpal tunnel, I suppose.

At any rate, I've been goofing off in photoshop and doodling some panels from my book for no reason other than I've got nothing better to do to occupy myself until I hear back from my queries. Here's a page of the two main characters meeting for the first time:

Down here, asshole.

Goofy, I know, but I can't quite let go of some of my early manga-inspired tendencies. Sometimes a derpy face and a sweat drop is just what's needed to get the point across. I think it's also worth noting that I can't draw perspective to save my life, but I already spent too much godforsaken time on a drawing done simply for shits and giggles, so... meh.

To that end, I'm struggling with the same problem I've faced ever since I made the switch from traditional art to entirely digital. There's something in my sketches that's omitted when I lay down inks; mainly, the energy in my drawing seemingly gets lost in translation. I blame it on easy access to the Command + Z key--every line becomes too perfect, as if a robot drew the picture.

Teach me to be more human, Tachikoma!

No comments:

Post a Comment