Sunday, May 15, 2016

Step 20: Listen To Your Ghost

In light of the new movie coming out (and my reservations regarding it), my husband and I decided to revisit the Ghost in the Shell universe by binge-watching Stand Alone Complex and SAC: 2nd Gig. Truthfully, I had all but forgotten just how good it is, and upon completion of it I resolved to make my next book as intelligent and carefully-woven as the GitS series.

My introduction to Ghost in the Shell was actually via the 2004 movie Innocence. It was playing at a tiny indie theater near my house, and since I was at my peak Weaboo in the early 2000's, without hesitation I went to watch it not knowing anything about the franchise. In a lot of ways, I feel like Innocence is the best way to introduce someone new to the series; the animation far surpasses that of the first movie (which honestly, in spite of the dated 90's garb, still holds up pretty well) and perhaps even the TV show, and the mystery surrounding the character of the Major certainly made me want to learn more about the series.

Still, Togusa and Batou in their Miami Vice outfits has its charm.

I guess it goes without saying that one of the things I love so much about this series is its strong female protagonist. It's not a plot point or a storytelling device; it just is. Major Kusanagi is the CO of an elite counter-cyberterrorist unit called Section 9, and her fellow team members follow her loyally without questioning her abilities. They make no comments on her choice of clothes or the women ("Floozies", as my husband likes to call them) she sleeps with; it's all normalized, with nary a blip on the radar.

The franchise is not without its moments of fan service, but it's hardly a distraction when on the whole the Major is such a gripping character. You might be tempted to label her as a borderline Mary Sue--she's darn near great at everything, from hand-to-hand combat to sniping--except she's got her fuckups as well, especially highlighted in the second season of the TV show. She struggles with her humanity (or her perceived lack thereof), and yet the very things that make her question whether she truly has a "ghost" ultimately proves its very existence. Coupled with an amazing supporting cast--Aramaki, Togusa, and especially Batou, whose unrequited affection for the Major literally pains me to watch--this franchise will have you chewing over it for days.

Or possibly give you nightmares.

After my husband and I watched the TV series, I took it upon myself to finally--finally!--watch the 1995 movie last night, which I had never seen before. Each media version of GitS exists in its own separate universe--the manga (which sadly I have yet to read) is one, the Ghost in the Shell and Innocence movies are another, the Stand Alone Complex/Solid State Society series is a third, and a fourth is the prequel OVA Arise--and they all take on a different, albeit connected, flavor. The TV show pays homage to the original movie several times, and it was fun to spot all the easter eggs.  Take, for example, the thigh-high leggings of the Major in the 1995 movie and the first season of Stand Alone Complex, as well as a shot-for-shot comparison of the Major leaping off a tower:

It's hard to believe, but the Major actually wears more clothes in Stand Alone Complex.

At the very end of SAC: 2nd Gig, Section 9 is decked out in combat gear very reminiscent of the armor they wore in the 1995 movie:

Vintage is the new cool.

And of course, it wouldn't be Ghost in the Shell without Batou screaming out "Motokoooo" ala Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire:

Starting with her head getting blown off in the 1995 movie...

...and continuing the trend in Stand Alone Complex.

SAC: 2nd Gig -- Now with added Christian symbolism!

I guess my biggest "complaint" about the franchise is that every movie and TV series is so convoluted that it requires multiple viewings and several open Wikipedia tabs to fully comprehend the story. Which, honestly, is an easy price to pay when you're watching a show that actually makes you feel smarter upon completing it. Also, fair warning: If you find yourself as attached to the adorable, cuddly Tachikomas as I was, you're in for some serious heartbreak.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T CRY WHEN A ROBOT DIES

No comments:

Post a Comment