Saturday, May 14, 2016

Step 19: Waste Time

Heyo! Sorry for running off for a few days, but I'm back. I holed myself up in my studio working on another page during the week, and I only just now have something to show for it. So, without further ado, here's both of the pages I put together (first one slightly modified from the original):



I'm not really sure why I wasted time doing these, but they were a fun little exercise regardless. It's kind of neat for me to see my book unfold visually, and it makes me wonder what the story might have looked like had I chosen to adapt it in graphic novel form.

Shiny and chrome!

Still, it was more work than I care to admit, and I often wonder whether the physical labor of drawing is worth the trade-off. The rub with illustration is that there is no way the viewer can ever fully appreciate the finished piece when all is said and done, and it's doubly true with graphic novels--I mean, how long have you spent staring at any one page the last time your read a comic book? I try and make the effort when reading comics to really savor the art and absorb each and every pen stroke that went into such a monumental task, but even knowing and experiencing the effort myself, a drawing is only considered "good" if there aren't any flaws for your eyes to get hung up on. It's when spotting a glaring mistake that most people take more than three seconds to inspect the image closer.

Just how many legs does that person have???

No comments:

Post a Comment