Monday, February 13, 2017

Step 56: Confess (Day 11/12/13)

NGL, I've been slacking off on #authorconfession because I've been playing waaaaaay too much Final Fantasy XV.

Just look at this smarmy fuck. How can you not spend obscene amounts of time gazing into his sultry eyes?
So without further ado, here are my catch-up answers:

Day 11. WORD COUNT REPORT!

At the present time, I have three WIPs in various stages of completion. Their word counts are as follows:
  • WIP #1: ~90,000 words (way too long)
  • WIP #2: ~70,000 words (much more reasonable)
  • WIP #3: ~50,000 words (but I expect it to land somewhere between WIP #1 and WIP #2's length)
  • Final Fantasy XV: 90+ hours (I have no life)
Considering it's only been fairly recently that I've taken writing seriously, the fact that I've literally written nearly three entire books in less than two years definitely feels like I've leveled up as a creative artist.

Fist bump, anyone? No? Well, okay then.
Day 12. Rate your WIP from tame to steamy.

Here's a little TMI tidbit about myself: I love steamy books. When I was an early teenager, I used to pilfer my mom's trashy romance novels from her when she wasn't looking and skip ahead to the hot stuff. I wrote filthy Star Wars fanfiction long before I ever lost my virginity, and now that I'm hoping to write professionally for a living, you can bet I'm going to try and shoehorn sexy scenes into my WIPs when and where appropriate.

Final Fantasy XV: The gif(t) that keeps on giving.
That said, there actually isn't a lot of gratuitous smut in any of my WIPs. They're contemporary YA books, not adult romance novels, which means that the sexy stuff serves the plot instead of visa versa. WIP #1 has a few steamy kisses, but no actual copulation; WIP #2 does have a sex scene in it, but the deed is less Cruel Intentions-level sexy and more The 40 Year Old Virgin-level embarrassing; WIP #3 depicts yet another sex scene, but one of the characters is fantasizing about a former lover rather than the one currently between their legs.

Like this, but even more awkward.
Day 13. Who'd make the worst couple in your WIP?

Focusing on the most "complete" of my WIPs, I'd argue that the worst couple in my MS had already gotten together and broken up prior to the events of the book. It's one of the sources of conflict in the story--ex flame meets new flame, chaos ensues--and as bad as they were for each other when they were a couple, at the same time they were seemingly the only people on the planet who could love the other in spite of their faults.

I'm terrified of accidentally spoiling the FFXV plot by looking for more gifs, so here's one from the Bad Romance video instead.
And that's all for today! Keep an eye out for more thinly veiled excuses to spam this blog with Final Fantasy XV trash #authorconfession posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment