Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Step 37: Stand Up

Please forgive my absence; it's been a tough weekend.

I haven't talked about it on my blog, but my book is an LGBTQ story.  An agent asked me recently what my goals were for Defining Lines, and this was my response:

"I wrote Defining Lines as my contribution to the LGBTQ movement. I’m not a politician and it’s unlikely I will ever sway the masses or be in a position to enact laws that protect LGBTQ rights, but by writing this book I am offering my voice to those who might not be able to speak up. It might come as a surprise that I identify as a straight, cisgendered woman, but I wrote this story simply because it was something I wanted to read. I wanted to read about the lives of ordinary people living under extraordinary conditions, who may choose to live a life in secret for their own safety but are nonetheless brave for being true to themselves. I wanted to normalize the idea that love is love, no matter who you are attracted to or how you identify yourself. I wanted young gay and transgendered people to see Defining Lines not hidden away in some tiny boutique that specializes in LGBTQ literature, but proudly on display in the Young Adult section at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com next to Anna and the French Kiss and The Fault In Our Stars, because the story of Defining Lines is the story of millions of people who shouldn’t feel marginalized because of who they are."

In light of the events in Orlando, my resolve to make this book available to every underrepresented individual in this country is stronger than ever. My goal in life is to live long enough to see the day when two men kissing doesn't even register on anyone's radar, and for trans people to be able to live their lives openly and to the fullest without nary a blink of judgmental eyes. If Defining Lines can help normalize that ideal and sway even one person towards the idea that love is love in all forms, I'll die a happy person.

I sure do, John Oliver.  And I'm singing right along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment