Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Step 48: Confess (Day 1)

Now that I've returned to the Twitterverse, I ran across a fun little game J.M. Sullivan is hosting called #authorconfession for the month of February. Since I'm in dire need of things to blog about other than the fact that the world going to hell in a hand basket, I thought I'd expand on the short answers I posted on Twitter here. It goes a little something like this:


Every day asks the author a different question, and today's prompt is: 

What do you listen to while writing?

My answer? Nothing. Not. A. Damn. Thing. I have to write in near-total silence in order to concentrate, and in the past I've even taken to using ear plugs to block out the sound of birds chirping and the husband playing Fallout 4. And it's not because I'm a heathen who hates music; on the contrary, I love singing badly at the top of my lungs to my favorite tunes. I even have a "Book Playlist" on Spotify with songs that correspond to certain chapters of my books, because obviously there is plenty of music out there that inspires me.

But I have a tendency to get distracted easily, to the point where sometimes I have to pause a song just to write a tweet, and oftentimes I'll interrupt my own half of a conversation just to belt out an awesome jam that came on the radio in my car. Oddly enough, I don't have this problem when I'm drawing; throw on a good playlist or a Ken Burns documentary in the background, and I can zone out for hours on end. It probably has something to do with using different parts of my brain (or lack thereof, in the case of doodling) when I'm working.

That said, there are a few songs out there that I listen to when I'm re-reading certain chapters of my WIPs, and one in particular has me obsessed to the point that I fear if I listen to it one more time I'll get sick of it. It's a cover of David Bowie's Life on Mars? performed by Aurora for HBO's Girls soundtrack (get some tissues ready):

No comments:

Post a Comment